This year will see the new Government strategy on the rehabilitation of offenders being put into place. This strategy designed to reduce the amount of re-offending committed by people coming out of prison was due to have started 1 April but has now been put back to 1 June 2014.
Most of the discussion about ‘Transforming Rehabilitation’ – or ‘TR’ as it is often known – has been about the end of the probation service as we have known it these last 100 years. Private companies have been asked to bid for some 70% of the work once done by probation, leaving just 30% for the smaller ‘public’ probation service that will be left. The successful bidders from the private sector will be subject to a new system of ‘payment by results’.